You are currently browsing the monthly archive for June 2012.

Attendees
Ben
James
Martijn
Somay
Richard
Vaibhav Gowadia

1. Hello David

Since Mike Barker has left us, the committee welcomes its newest member – David Illsley.
2. 351 Discussion with Vaibhav
We discussed JSR 351 with Vaibhav Gowadia.  There has been a change in the makeup of the expert group, including going through 3 EG Leads.  Vaibhav explained that some of the issues with the original API have been resolved.  Many of our concerns, such as the poor definition of the scope of the API and that its modelling a domain remain.  Vaibhav agreed to get more detail on the motivations involved by some of the EG members and progress with improving matters from that point onwards.

3. Catchup

Following up from previous meetings, and going forward:

  • Martijn to Schedule May meeting
  • Some JSRs making really good progress with adoption (310 and 335) whilst others lagging behind (JMS 2.1)
  • Everyone needs to push Adopt-a-JSR and Adopt OpenJDK whenever they can.
  • We’ve fully investigated the concerns over the JEE licensing issue. and its ok.  The charges only applied to the commercial license, rather to people who are accepting the GPL’d OpenJDK implementation.
  • JSR 356 now satisfying these legal concerns as a result of feedback from the LJC.
  • People should check trello for TODO List updates.

4. Ongoing Items

  • We will launch adopt OpenJDK formally within a week, and spread it out to other JUGs via the JUG Leaders list and public mailing lists.
  • We still haven’t got Oracle’s analysis tools made public, so that they can be used for OpenJDK contribution.

 

5. Adopt OpenJDK & Adopt-a-JSR

  • We’ve acquired nearly 200 patches to go into OpenJDK, and are busy reviewing them.
  • We’ve moved to github in order to make it easier to coordinate things.
  • Richard made google groups work.
  • James & Somay to work on building OpenJDK and understanding more so that they can skill up and contribute
  • Ben and Richard to do a talk or hackday on lambdas.
  • Its proving hard to get volunteers for adopting jms 2.0 or ejb.
Advertisements

Attendees

Ben Evans
Martijn Verburg
James Gough
Trisha Gee
David Illsley
Somay Nakhal
Richard Warburton

Admin

  • Everyone happy with meetings at jClarity offices.
  • JG to doodle for next meeting
  • RW to write up minutes from last meeting, and this meeting.

Adopt OpenJDK
The committee discussed the progress being made in this space.  A combination of a mailing list and an irc channel seems to have spurred contributions and made it easier to run and manage.  It would be a good idea to backport these to adopt a jsr.

  • Still plan to keep Adopt a JSR separate from Adopt OpenJDK.
  • RW + MV to setup a mailing list and irc channel for Adopt a JSR – (Done).

Brazil Face to Face

  • A lot of procedural discussion.
  • Several ME members not turning up.
  • Next version of ME will be rebaselined off of Java 7 in 18 months.
  • TOTVS (co-hosting with Soujava) introduced the Committee to Ginga-J – a Java-based digital TV standard used on top of the ISDB-T international standard (used primarily in Japan & South America)
    • This has the potential to allow developers to reach a South American user base of 350 million users via their TVs.
    • The potential and challenges that TOTVS face on the TV standardisation committees bear some similarities to those faced in other parts of the JCP.
    •  Strategies for co-operation with other standards organisations were discussed
    • Also ways to ensure that Java remains a central part of the ISDB-T story for IPTV.
  • Adopt Openjdk discussion at the Face to Face
    • Discussions with Anil Kumar at Intel.
    • Possible Hardware to host adopt openjdk.
    • Initially this could be hosted by LJC, but eventually broaden out to a larger community.
  • Some desire to extend the length of use for OpenJDK TCK to 5 years from Azul, however, no solid conclusions on the matter.

Lambdas Hackday

  • … went very well
  • Some bugs found, and some lessons learned for further hackday discussion.
  • RW to write up feedback for discussion on the mailing list – (Done).

Other Business

  • RW + JG to organise JSR 310 Hackday in London.
  • JG to investigate Java EE standards further
  • BE & MV to ask about putting Private LJC List read-only on the JCP Mailing List.

Hey guys,

Aaron here with another list of partner events- as always, if you have any suggestions or would like your group added to the list then please contact me or Barry – we’re always happy to help!

Here is the event list for the next two weeks:

Wednesday 6th June
Code & Beer
This is a social / hands-on event at Shooting Star every first Wednesday of the Month.
RSVP for this London Software Craftsman Community event: http://www.meetup.com/london-software-craftsmanship/events/65915632/

Wednesday 6th June
A Python code review of multilango.com
Marco de Wit presents a Python code review of multilango.com
RSVP for this The London Python Group event: http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/scala/python-code-review/js-3517

Wednesday 6th June
Big Data Debate
Join the first event of its kind at Skills Matter: the big data debate!
RSVP for this Skills Matter event: http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/design-architecture/big-data-debate/js-3517

Friday 8th June
Google Drive SDK
Join us in Campus on Friday 8th June for an exciting talk from Google’s +Nicolas Garnier on Google Drive SDK. Learn how to integrate your apps with the new cloud storage solution, taking advantage of its free storage and leveraging the millions of files already hosted on a user’s Drive.
See http://www.london-gtug.org/Venue/google-drive-sdk for more details and (free) registration.

Monday 11th June
In The Brain of Mark Rendle: Zen and the Art of Software
Mark Rendle will use passages from the “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” to introduce ideas on how we, as software developers, might try to improve the Quality both of the software we create and of ourselves.
RSVP for this Skills Matter event: http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/design-architecture/zen-and-the-art-of-software/js-3517

Tuesday 12th June
Gradle – Build Automation Evolved
Ant & Maven have been great for getting developers into Build Automation, but each tool has its own challenges and pains and are designed for computers, not humans.  Come and discover how to manage your project in a more human way, using a declarative Domain Specific Language to specify your projects, manage dependencies and run your build jobs.
RSVP for this London Java Community event: http://www.meetup.com/Londonjavacommunity/events/64272762/

Tuesday 12th June
Code & Coffee
Morning session (7am – 9am) on Tuesdays every fortnight on Starbucks in Oxford Street.
RSVP for this London Software Craftsman Community event: http://www.meetup.com/london-software-craftsmanship/events/57172552/

Tuesday 12th June
Software Craftsmanship Round Table
A group discussion at TIMGroup every second Tuesday. FULL – WAITING LIST AVAILABLE
RSVP for this London Software Craftsman Community event: http://www.meetup.com/london-software-craftsmanship/events/66629132/

Wednesday 13th June
Chris Turner – Experiences from a Real-World Scala Project
In this talk for the “award-winning” London Scala User Group, Chris Turner explores his experiences from a real world Scala project
RSVP for this London Scala User Group event: http://www.meetup.com/london-scala/events/60422262/

Wednesday 13th June
Infinispan from POC to Production
The presentation delivered by Mark Addy will be a walk through a real life case study for a leading on-line travel provider – expect a technical deep dive which will interest developers and architects!
RSVP for this JBoss User Group event: http://www.meetup.com/JBoss-User-Group/events/65972202/

That’s everything – I’ll be back in two weeks to bring you some more events.

I would just like to mention before I go that we have a contract opportunity for a Technical Lead at a leading enterprise software solutions provider- they are looking for people who are fanatical about Spring and have a passion for Agile practices.

http://developercareers.recworks.co.uk/online/ViewJob.aspx?JobId=1103

They are particularly interested in senior people who love open source and have the ability to lead teams on greenfield projects.

If anyone is interested or knows anyone that would be interested then please let Barry or myself know.

Enjoy the long weekend everyone and see you in two weeks!

Aaron (abrecworks)

What is the LJC

The London Java Community (LJC) is a group of Java Enthusiasts who are interested in benefiting from shared knowledge in the industry. Through our forum and regular meetings you can keep in touch with the latest industry developments, learn new Java (& other JVM) technologies, meet other developers, discuss technical/non technical issues and network further throughout the Java Community.

Twitterfeed